Encyclopedia

Chlorine poisoning

Chlorine is a chemical substance that is used to prevent the reproduction of bacteria in water, as well as to neutralize them in household and industrial waste. It is also used as an ingredient in many cleaning products.

Chlorine poisoning can occur if the chemical is swallowed or inhaled. It reacts with water inside and outside the body such as water in the digestive tract to form hydrochloric acid and hydrochloric acid. Both substances are highly poisonous and toxic to the human body.

Although most of us are aware that chlorine is used to disinfect water in most public pools, incidents of chlorine poisoning are caused by the ingestion of household products, not the water in public pools.

p>

Below are a few products that are commonly used in households to disinfect and contain chlorine:

• Mild detergents;
• Bleaching products such as bleach;
• Chlorine tablets;

What are the symptoms?

Chlorine poisoning can cause symptoms all over the body. Respiratory clinical manifestations are difficulty breathing and accumulation of water in the lungs. Manifestations of poisoning of the digestive system are burning in the mouth, swelling and pain in the throat, stomach pain and blood in the stool.

The circulatory system can also be damaged by excessive exposure to chlorine. Symptoms of this problem can be expressed in changes in the acid levels of the blood. Exposure to chlorine can also cause a significant drop in blood pressure.

Chlorine can causeserious damage to the eyes, manifested as severe burning and irritation. In the worst case, temporary loss of vision can occur. Exposure to chlorine can also damage the skin, potentially leading to tissue damage, burns and severe skin irritation.

Treating Chlorine Poisoning

You should seek immediate medical attention if you or your child are exposed to high levels of chlorine. Do not attempt to induce vomiting unless directed to do so by a healthcare professional.

If chlorine accidentally gets in your eyes or on your skin, rinse the affected area thoroughly with running water for at least 15 minutes.

If chlorine is accidentally ingested, immediately start drinking milk or water unless nausea and convulsions occur.

If you have inhaled chlorine, get to fresh air immediately. Go to the highest possible place as chlorine is heavier than air.

Doctors will need the following information if you have chlorine poisoning to prescribe the most effective treatment:

• Age;
• Weight;
• The product you accidentally ingested;
• What quantity you ingested;
• Duration of exposure – that is, how long ago you ingested or inhaled chlorine.

After the doctor’s assessment when you are admitted to the hospital, you will be admitted to intensive care, where your vital indicators will be monitored – pulse, body temperature, respiratory rate and blood pressure.

The doctor may recommend the use of activated charcoal, intravenous fluids, or oxygen if you are having trouble breathing. This will help relieve your symptoms and flush the chlorine out of your body.

Prevention

Chlorine poisoning can be prevented by following the established rules for working with preparations containing chlorine and avoiding their ingestion. Any products containing the chemical must be stored in locked rooms or cupboards so that children cannot access them.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button